Shock pads are important for system stability and shock absorption.
We distinguish between two types of shock pads: pre-fabricated (foam) shock pads (AstroBase) and in-situ shock pads (E-Layer®). AstroBase shock pads are made in long continuous rolls and can be seamed properly for a monolithic underlayment. An E-Layer® is paved-in-place on site using specially modified running track pavers with heated screeds. These pads often have a mix of small stones, foam and rubber granules bound by high grade polyurethane binder. Our laboratory tests all pads exhaustively before their approval for field use.
- Provide better shock absorbency and protection for players
- Create a smoother, more uniform field
- Increases the lifespan of the turf itself
- Enable us to reduce the height of the turf to increase pile density and reduce the quantities of more expensive alternative infills required
- Can be used for more than one field lifecycle, making costs over time very attractive
- Optimized sports performance: shock absorption, energy restitution and ball bounce
- Extended durability and constant performance: temperature stability and product warranty of two lifetimes of an artificial turf pitch
- Fast and easy installation
- Excellent environmental profile: recyclable
The thickness required depends on the turf construction and the application the system is going to be used for and should be carefully monitored during construction.
- Excellent shock absorbency
- Totally solid under foot
- Permanent usability (especially in systems that are not glued down)
- Can alter formulations to make the E-layer more or less bouncy
- Monolithic – one surface means a total consistency/no gaps or joints under the turf
- Use high quality polyurethane binder
- Long lasting
- Higher up front cost (but reusable indefinitely)
- Requires precision installation and experienced crews